Structured Decision Making Workshop - ALC3159 - Resources
Overview of Decision Analysis Context
- Starfield, A. M. 1997. A Pragmatic Approach to Modeling for Wildlife Management. J. Wildl. Manage. 61(2):261-270.
Decision Analysis Basics
- Gregory, R., T. McDaniels, and D. Fields. 2001. Decision aiding, not dispute resolution: Creating insights through structured environmental decisions. J. of Policy Analysis and Management 20: 415-432.
Multi-Objective Decision Analysis
- Hammond , J.S., R. L. Keeney, and H. Raiffa. 2002. Smart Choices: a practical guide to making better life decisions. Broadway Books, NY. 242 pp.
- Merkhofer, M.W., R. Conway, R.G. Anderson. 1997. Multiattribute Utility Analysis as a Framework for Public Participation in Siting a Hazardous Waste Management Facility. Environ. Man. Vol. 21 (6): 831-839.
- Maguire, L.A. 2004. What can Decision Analysis do for Invasive Species Management? Risk Analysis, Vol. 24(4): 859-868.
Experts, Expertise & Judgment
- Gregory, R. and R. Keeney. 2002. Making smarter environmental management decisions. J. of the American Water Resources Association 38:1601-1612.
- Keeney, R. 2002. Common mistakes in making value trade-offs. Operations Research 50: 935-945.
- Slovic, P. 1999. Trust, emotion, sex, politics and science: Surveying the risk-assessment battlefield. Risk Analysis 19: 689-701.
Attitudes about Risk
- Maguire, L.A and E.A. Albright. 2005. Can behavioral decision theory explain risk averse fire management decisions? Forest Ecology and Management 211:47-58.
Scientific Risk Analysis & Management
- Burgman, M. 2005. Risks and Decisions for Conservation and Environmental Management. Cambridge Univ. Press , UK . 488 pp.
- Starfield, A.M., J.D. Roth, and K. Ralls. 1995. “Mobbing” in Hawaiian Monk Seals (Monachus schauinslani): The Value of Simulation Modeling in the Absence of Apparently Crucial Data. Conservation Biology 9:166-174.
- Nicholson, C., A. Starfield, G. Kofinas, and J. Kruse. 2002. Ten Heuristics for Interdisciplinary Modeling Projects. Ecosystems 5:376-384.
- Ralls, K. and A.M. Starfield. 1995. Choosing a Management Strategy: Two Structured Decision-making Methods for Evaluating the Predictions of Stochastic Simulation Models. Conservation Biology 9: 175-181.
- Gregory, R., L. Failing, D. Ohlson, and T. McDaniels. In Press. Some pitfalls of an Overemphasis on Science in Environmental Risk Management Decisions. J. Risk Research.
Decision Analysis and Adaptive Management
- Walters, C.J. and C.S. Holling. 1990. Large-scale management experiments and learning by doing. Ecology 71(6):2060-2068.
- McDaniels T.L. and R. Gregory. 2004. Learning as an objective within a structured risk management decision process. Environmental Science & Technology 38(7):1921-1926.
- Linkov, I., F.K. Satterstrom, G.A. Kikier, T.S. Bridges , S.L. Benjamin, and D.A. Belluck. 2006. From optimization to adaptation: shifting paradigms in environmental management and their application to remedial decisions. Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management 2(1):92-98.
- Parkes J.P., A. Robley, D.M. Forsyth, and D. Choquenot. 2006. Adaptive management experiments in vertebrate pest control in New Zealand and Australia. Wildlife Society Bulletin 34(1):229-236.
- Gunderson L. 1999. Resilience, flexibility and adaptive management -- antidotes for spurious certitude? Conservation Ecology3(1). (11 pages)
- Gregory R, D. Ohlson, and J. Arvai. In press. Deconstructing adaptive management: criteria for applications to environmental management. Ecological Applications.