Stan Fredericksen



Stanley Stewart Fredericksen was born on July 4, 1924 in West Yellowstone Montana to Henry and Margarite Fredericksen and was the second of eight children.† He graduated from Idaho Falls High School in 1943 and entered the Army Air Corps receiving training as a pilot and radio operator.† After discharge from the military in 1946 he joined the Idaho Fish and Game Department and later attended the Spartan School of Aeronautics in Tulsa, OK where he received his pilotís license. On October 6, 1948 Stan married Betty Ann Dowling; they had two children ≠ Rick was born in 1949 and Teresa Ann was born in 1953. Stanís service with Idaho Fish and Game was interrupted when he was recalled for military service during the Korean War serving as an Air Force air-sea rescue pilot on Okinawa.† After the Korean War, Stan returned to the Idaho Fish and Game department and in 1953 moved to Alaska joining the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.† He served in Juneau, Anchorage and Fairbanks where he was Game Management Agent for the Fairbanks District.† He was known for his hearty laugh, neat uniforms, love of the Alaska wilderness, and a passion for his work.† He received commendations for his scenic photography and was honored for Commendable Service by the Department of the Interior.

Cause of Death

Stanley Fredericksen, 34 was killed in the crash of a Grumman Goose aircraft on August 21, 1958 in the Phillip Smith Mountains of the Eastern Brooks range.† Also killed in the crash were Clarence Rhode, Regional Director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and his son Jack.† However, their deaths were not confirmed until 21 years later when the missing aircraft was found by a hiker on August 23, 1979, solving one of Alaskaís great mysteries ≠ the disappearance of F.W.S. Grumman Goose N-720.† The disappearance of the agents had resulted in one of the largest air and ground searches in Alaska history, extending from late August into December 1958.† The investigation at the scene of the wreckage indicated that the aircraft had hit a rock wall while under power and exploded when the onboard fuel vaporized on impact.† Death was likely instantaneous.


Rick Stewart Fredericksen (son of Stan Fredericksen), Exploration Geologist, Anchorage, Alaska.