NOTE: DO NOT SUBMIT AN APPLICATION THROUGH DOILEARN FOR THIS COURSE. EDUCATION REQUIREMENT MUST BE COMPLETED PRIOR TO SUBMITTING DOCUMENTATION FOR PRACTICAL PROFICIENCY.
Refresher training is offered to currently-certified motorboat operators. It provides updated information related to watercraft operation and helps ensure proficiency. The refresher training includes two modules:
- Classroom instruction that assesses the operator's knowledge of safe boating, and
- Proficiency module that assesses the operator's practical skills and abilities to operate a motorboat.
The refresher training provides motorboat operators with updated information on new equipment, trends, and techniques in watercraft operation. It also provides a check of the operator's skills to ensure that individuals are able to safely operate motorboats in their expected work environment.
The student must complete an educational (classroom or equivalent) examination module, and a practical proficiency module:
A. Education (Classroom or equivalent):
B. Practical Proficiency:
Supervisor documentation of motorboat proficiency must be sent to Gary Schetrompf, 304-876-7255, FAX 304-876-7262 or email@example.com Please follow link to download supervisor verification form.
Significant proven and safe operation of motorboats since completing the MOCC. This may be selected if the individual operates boats regularly as a normal part of their job.
- Hands-on demonstration of boating exercises in the presence of a DOI certified instructor. This should be selected if the individual operates boats occasionally as a normal part of their job.
- Retaking the Motorboat Operator Certification Course (MOCC). This should be selected if the individual has not operated boats on a regular or occasional basis as a normal part of their job and needs to remain certified.
- Successful completion of the Motorboat Operator Instructor Certification Course (MOICC).
Each bureau will utilize established procedures, i.e. SF 182, to maintain records of operator certification and a process to ensure certification is recorded and updated.
The participant must still verify practical on-water boating skills.
Please be sure to have your supervisor verify your Practical Boating Skills in order to complete your re-certification. Re-certification is not complete until you return both the successful test results from this program and a supervisor verification form. Contact Gary Schetrompf (304) 876-7255; firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Certification of Instructors:
- DOI Instructors, MOCC or MOICC, will retain certification by:
Instructing a MOCC or MOICC course at least every three years; OR
- Remaining active in the re-certification of their bureau's boat operators; OR
- Demonstrating to their bureau's boat/watercraft safety lead or safety manager that they have safely operated boats on-the-job over the past three years, and have kept abreast of changes affecting the boating program.
Any person operating Service watercraft and who is approaching the five year point requiring refresher training.